Vocalists! Are you tired of singing the same Bossa Nova songs you've been singing for ages? Are you looking to know more about Brazilian music, including its composers, vocalists and the amazing rhythms of its different styles? Would you love to bring Brazilian music into your repertoire in more authentic, exciting and original ways? Come and immerse yourself in Brazilian grooves, Portuguese pronunciation and create your own unique vocal arrangements of Brazilian Jazz! Full course description below. February 4 - March 23 7:00 - 8:30 Eastern time class limited to eight students cost: $300.oo, including the recording of two sing-along tracks by Matt King of your original Braziian jazz arrangement. register with Mia at firstname.lastname@example.org Go on an in-depth exploration of Samba, Bossa, Baiao, Afoxe/Ijexa, Maracatu and Partido Alto. You will sing, read and sing these rhythms in vocal improvisation. Drawing on arranging techniques like altering the original groove, reharmonization, creating intros, codas and improvisation sections, you will create original arrangements of two songs, bringing Jazz elements to Braziian music and Brazilian sounds to Jazz. Expand your familiarity with Brazilian music beyond the bossa classics mosts often sung, and listen widely to Brazilian vocalists in many styles. Fine tune your Portuguese pronunciation with Mia's coaching and experiment with Matt on your arranging ideas. In our final class, you can perform your arrangements for participants, singing along with tracks Matt will create for you. Join us and share some fruits of our journeys through Brazilian Jazz together!
Feedback from previous workshop participants:
• "This workshop was a wonderful experience. Andrea has a warm, gentle manner and the skill to help each group member find a closer relationship to the music—while also nourishing a strong group spirit. The workshop was challenging and supportive. And a lot of fun."
• "Andrea Wolper’s musical and interpersonal skills are immense and I highly recommend her workshops."
• "Andrea is a complete professional with the pipes to back it up. She has the gift of voice and an even greater gift for being able to share that gift with others through her teaching techniques."
•“I just wanted to let you know how much I loved the workshop. I have such a clearer sense of what it is I need to work on now that I participated in it. Please put me on the early notification list for the next workshop because I'd love to do it!
•"You supported every person in the workshop to their most powerful and yet relaxed singing moments. You helped to turn the weakest into the strongest parts. I really enjoyed your gentle clarity in teaching and your great sense of humor."
•“You were so open and friendly that I could also open up, and try to make a voice from my voice. You quickly identified our weaknesses and challenged us to build on our strengths.”
• "A performer who brings songs to life, whatever their source, working in a milieu that begins with jazz and reaches out to embrace an expressive area that is uniquely her own." – Don Heckman, International Review of Music • ". . . a superb singer. . . a highly original performer." - Andrew Gilbert, Contra Costa Time
• "Refusing, in utterly refreshing ways, to follow each song's furrowed emotional path, she instead opens them up for wider examination." - Christopher Loudon, JazzTimes • "Whatever the song, old or new, there is an irrepressible air of originality." – Bruce Crowther, Jazz Journal
Thank you, Alexis, for allowing me to post here!
My CD Bridge to Infinity , was originally going to be called Right Here Right now, but after we lost the incredible and talented saxophone player , Zane Musa after the recordings, I decided to make it a tribute to him. The CD was a blessing in my life and features some of the best musicians in this country like living legend Christian McBride in bass, arrangements, and musical direction, Marvin Smitty Smith ( Jay Leno drummer , Freddy Hubbard, etc), Munyungo Jackson, percussion ( Miles Davis Stevie Wonder) Nolan Shaheed ,Trumpet ( Duke Ellington , Count Basie & Director of Marvin Gaye, And many more amazing musicians from Los Angeles. I am very proud of the work we achieved. We got 3 & 1/2 stars review in DownBeat Magazine and many other nice reviews and plays that supported my work. Here is a YouTube link of it. I hope you enjoy it.